Originally, there was a black onyx marble altar situated a few feet in front of the present Communion rail. It had been sold by his heirs after Father Mollinger’s death and all trace of it has disappeared.
Black onyx marble is white Italian marble which has been dipped into a solution which penetrates the marble. One is able to see light through the finished product. It was learned that it is no longer being produced after inquiries were made throughout the U.S.A. and Europe to obtain some black onyx marble to make a new altar for the chapel. So the decision was made to settle for black and gold marble for the present Mass altar which rests on bases going down into the ground beneath the chapel.
In the old wooden altar table directly in front of the tabernacle there is a sliver from the table at the Last Supper. A circular glass-topped reliquary has the following inscription: “Ex Sacra Tabula Ultimae Coenae, D.N.J. Christi” – (“From the sacred table of the Last Supper, of Our Lord Jesus Christ”). It is authenticated by certificate No. 502 – 4th article listed – and was given to Father Mollinger by the Minister Provincial, O.F.M., Conv., on June 7, 1890 at Florence, Italy. This reliquary is embedded in the mensa of the altar and is regularly covered by the altar cloth.