Material prepared for book for Immaculate Conception Parish, Brookville 1996
Rev. Suitbert G. Mollinger, 1858-1864
Born at Mechlin, Belgium, son of the prime minister of the King of Holland; educated at Amsterdam, Naples, Ghent; studied medicine for a time; Seminary training at St. Vincent’s College at Latrobe; hearing impaired a result of diphtheria as a child; assistant to Father Ledwith with headquarters in Brookville in 1858; made pastor—resided at the Farley House on the corner of Barnett and Madison Streets (the site of the present gun shop) in 1859; attended to Corsica, Crates, Sligo, southeastern Clarion County, and all of Jefferson County – mostly farming districts and at the little blast furnaces that dotted the counties; was nearly six feet tall, strongly built, stern face, with long heavy beard, determined disposition; produced a patent medicine (Mollinger Medicine Company, N.S. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) which the country people hailed as a miracle cure; disagreed with, Bishop Young over the academy in Corsica, left the area and diocese and entered the Diocese of Pittsburgh in 1864; named pastor of Most Holy Name Church at Troy Hill in 1868. His chapel, full of relics, has become a place of pilgrimages.
An interesting story is told about Father Mollinger when he was attending to some out-missions under his charge. One Sunday morning, he set out with his satchel containing the vestments and everything required for Mass, and walked twelve miles on a hot summer day to Carr’s Furnace (near New Bethlehem) for a second Mass. On entering the house, he was so exhausted that he fell unconscious on the floor. After a time, he regained consciousness, celebrated Mass, attended other duties awaiting him. In those days, priests and people fasted from midnight before receiving Communion.