While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep. ACTS 7:59
Saint Anthony Chapel has several relics of St. Stephen !
- St. Stephen was the first martyr or protomartyr for Jesus Christ
- He died in 34AD
- His death was accounted for in the Bible - Acts:7
- The name Stephen means "Crown"
- His death was condoned by another future saint at that time "Saul of Tarsus" who became "St. Paul"
- St. Stephen's image is depicted in the first stained glass window on your left as you enter Saint Anthony Chapel
- Ironically, his Feast Day is December 26th or the first day after Christmas (the birth of Christ) in the Western Church and on December 27th in the Eastern Church (a spiritual two-for-one)